Changes to scheme prior to submission
CHP have submitted an Outline Planning Application to Barnet Council for the Homes for NHS Staff project, following the closing of the public consultation process at the end of July. Having reviewed the feedback from residents, the following changes have been made to the scheme:
- A reduction in the height of the tallest building from six to five storeys of accommodation.
- Increased car parking provision from 38 to 53 spaces, representing a 39% increase on the original proposal. We have ensured this does not compromise the proposals for the landscape.
- Reviewed the mix of accommodation to ensure 100% of the homes are affordable to NHS staff and introduced a shared ownership element for those who wish to lay down roots in the local area.
- Subject to securing planning consent, CHP intends to bring forward the scheme with a partner such as a housing association in a joint venture, and discussions are ongoing with potential partners.
To summarise, we are proposing the following:
- Up to 130 homes for NHS staff with 100% of the homes being affordable to NHS staff, including an element of shared ownership (part rent, part buy) accommodation
- Four new buildings, ranging from three to five storeys of accommodation, with communal facilities in which NHS staff can socialise
- New publicly accessible, landscaped spaces with more trees, vegetation, and planting for existing and new residents to enjoy
- 53 parking spaces as well as parking and infrastructure for cycling.
The Outline Planning Application will now be considered by Barnet Council, before a determination is made. If the application is consented, a Reserved Matters planning application will be brought forward to deal with matters including the design of the buildings and the specific mix of housing types that are delivered.
The proposals submitted will make a positive contribution to meeting identified housing need in the Borough. Once delivered, the scheme will provide quality homes and support the quality of life for NHS staff who work nearby and are currently unable to find somewhere suitable to live.
CHP will continue to keep the community updates as the proposals progress.